Lassa fever kills 3 in Ekiti
Three persons have been confirmed dead in a fresh case of Lassa fever in Ekiti. The Commissioner for Health, Dr Rotimi Ojo, made the disclosure in a statement in Ado Ekiti on Tuesday. He said that five out of the eight new suspected cases in the state tested negative while one was uncertain, with the last pending as at press time. Ojo added that the patient that tested positive and two others had passed away. The commissioner insisted that there was still no cause for alarm in the state as government was taking proactive steps in its surveillance activities. He gave an assurance that the State Disease Control team had been activated while the process of sensitising the people with jingles and other communication media were ongoing. Ojo said that similar actions taken during the 2016 outbreak were successful, adding that the epidemic was controlled and the identified patient, who was properly managed, survived. He said that the three isolation centres located at the Federal Tea...